Sunday, May 18, 2014

Who Wants To Go In On Liters and Liters of Barrel-Aged Cocktails With Me?

{via Bourbon & Banter}

There's nothing I love more than a properly made barrel-aged cocktail. A few bars serve them in the city, but only a couple I've been too - Elsa (a delightful cocktail bar in Alphabet City) and Maysville (Char No. 4's sister restaurant)- really do it right.

Barrel-aged cocktails have all the richness of a freshly mixed cocktail, but a much deeper, more mellow undertone that comes from giving all the ingredients time to hang out and get to know each other.

Bourbon & Banter outlines the process of barrel aging at home, and even provides a great recipe to try:

Barrel Aged Vice Presidential Manhattan
  • 2 Bottles Jefferson’s Bourbon
  • 4 oz. Sweet Vermouth (I used Dolin)
  • 1.2 oz. Blood Orange Bitters  (I used Fee Brothers)
  • .8 oz. Orange Bitters (I used Peychaud’s)
  • 4 oz. Maraschino Liqueur (I used Maraska)

However, this is no small or quick feat. As they say,

"A caveat: when barrel aging cocktails, you are undertaking a real liquor investment and you will need a lot of booze. So make sure you are making a cocktail that you will like to either drink copious amounts of yourself, or you are comfortable dishing out to all of your friends. It is also a time investment, as I recommend allowing your cocktail to age for at least 4-6 weeks. Yes: you must wait a month or more for your drink."
That said, I'd love to try it. Maybe this fall, when it starts to get chilly again. To read more about the process of barrel aging cocktails, check out the rest of the post here.

Anyone want to go in on a few liters of barrel-aged Manhattan with me?


No comments:

Post a Comment