This event was a WWW first!
It was a Whiskey Tasting to celebrate my 28th birthday.
|The lovely hostesses: Maggie, Barbara, Amanda, and Julia (me)|
|Amanda and Maggie|
I had decided on an original line up of five bottles--a bourbon, two ryes, and two scotches--but a few guests brought bottles of whiskey as birthday gifts and we decided it was only appropriate to include them in the line up, bringing the up the total to eight bottles, and expanding the selection internationally.
|Some smiling guests|
|The original line up before the addition of Yamazaki, Bushmills and Glenfiddich|
The final line up was served in the following order:
1) Rowan's Creek Bourbon - John Rowan was a statesman and judge who dabbled in Bourbon makin' on the side. A light, spicy flavor.
2) Templeton Rye - A small-batch Prohibition era recipe, and Al Capone'swhiskey of choice (and my personal favorite). Smooth and sweet, with a slightly spiced finish.
3) Redemption Rye - An excellent bargain. Retails between $25-30, but tastes like $60 rye.
4) Yamazaki 12 Year Single Malt Japanese Whiskey - Would be a scotch if it weren't from Japan
5) Bushmills 10 Year Single Malt Irish Whiskey - A marriage of the new world and old world whiskies, with a hint of the sweetness of Bourbon and Rye.
6) Glenfiddich 12 Year Single Malt Scotch - A lighter, less potent but still delicious scotch
7) Balvenie Doublewood 12 Year Single Malt Scotch - A smoother, more vanilla flavor
8) Lagavulin 16 Year Islay Single Malt Scotch - A robust, smokey, peaty deep flavor
|Paige, Kim and Maura, WWW members|
|The ladies of Women Who Whiskey, smiling!|
|Andrea, Julia, and a very enthusiastic William|
All in all it was a wonderful evening--both as a birthday celebration and as a Women Who Whiskey event.